Saturday, November 21, 2009

UNDERCOVER Cocoa Cookie!


I remember when I first sampled the sweet, surging rewards of coffee.  I was a freshman in college and my best friend was addicted to Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla coffee swimming with cream and sugar.  I was apprehensive to try real thing – this was something only grown-ups drank and I was the sort of 18-year old who was too much of a goodie-two-shoes to try anything beyond “frappucinos,” let alone real coffee, or even… alcohol.  (okay maaaaybe I lived on the edge a touch and drank a Smirnoff Ice or two in the dorms, but that was as party-girl as I dared to be.  In fact, I was quoted once with saying, “I’ll never put anything burning in my mouth...” two weeks of junior year in Boston and that changed reeeal fast.)  However, one monumental morning I took a few sips of my friend’s concoction and went skipping to class on a caffeine surge and instantly adopted the drink into my own routine along with the freshman-fifteen.  I couldn’t go without it every morning and have since lived my life amped up.  Except now, I like it black.  Like my m-- Labrador.  Is it bad that I feel everyday needs to be jolted with a little caffeine?  And I seem to be drinking more of it since I spend so much time attempting to be productive in coffee shops.  I feel like I can’t write without it, I feel like I can’t speak without it, and as a long-distance runner and avid cardio kick-boxer, I now feel like I can’t exercise at my peek performance without it!  (this is ever since I was turned onto GU and Triple Threat Power Bars. Ooohhhh I’m buzzing just thinking about them.)  Regardless, please say I’m not alone in this!!! Or if I am, well not worry, I have found a way to disguise my addiction!!!!!!!  Oh yes, enter the UNDERCOVER COCOA COOKIE!  I have baked a chocolate cookie that packs a caffeinated punch.  It’s the perfect sugary, rich bite to give you that extra jolt without stopping at Starbucks for the third time in one day.  So make this cookie and you’ll save enough Starbucks lattes to buy a small vacation home in the French Alps… you’ll burn off all the caffeinated calories in a surge of energy leaving you svelte and super-model material… and you’ll have them at the ready to lure and trick your man into staying up all night with you to watch the sunrise.  Okay so maybe this is my fantasy cookie.  Any way you take it, black, or with cream and sugar, this cookie is sure to Amp. You. Up. enjoy!


INGREDIENTS

2 cups flour

¼ cup cocoa powder

1 tsp baking soda

½ tsp baking powder

½ tsp salt

2 sticks of unsalted butter

1 cup of granulated sugar

½ cup of brown sugar

1 tsp of vanilla extract

1 large egg

¼ cup room temperature brewed coffee

1 cup milk chocolate chips

¾ cup slivered almonds

 

Preheat oven to 350°

1st)  Whisk together dry ingredients.

2nd)  Beat butter and sugars together till creamy.

3rd)  Add vanilla extract, one egg, and coffee.

4th)  cream it all together slowly or the coffee will splatter and you'll have a coffee stain on your shirt! then you've blown your cover!!!

5th)  Slowly whisk in dry ingredients...

6th)  blend until creamy and lovely

7th)  Now add the almonds for a little protein and extra energy (fyi: nuts are a good source for this), and the milk chocolate chips (for the cream in your coffee).

8th)  Stir it up til well incorporated!

9th)  Drop the coffee balls onto your non-stick cookie sheet10th)  Let 'em percolate in the oven for 10-12 minutes...11th)  Once baked and the edges look slightly darker, transfer them to a wrack to cool.12th)  And now - the best part of wakin' up, is a cookie in your cup!!! hah

No comments:

Post a Comment